Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Daddy's 84th Birthday!



Today is my Daddy's 84th birthday! This picture when he and Joan went to visit Adam at Hampden Sydney. I think he looks fabulous to be 84. He is quicker then I am and just a delight to be around. Daddy was born to into a large family in western North Carolina. He was the 11th of 12 children. Despite his humble start, he was able to get an appointment to West Point. He went there and then also went to UNC and got his masters degree from the University of Colorado. He and my mother were raised in a Presbyterian orphanage. He says that it was a good place, they were safe, educated and taken to church. He met my mother there, and they were married after he left West Point. He became on officer in the Air Force, and there he began his love of flying. He has flown B49's, B52's, C141's and some little plane in Viet Nam that he doesn't talk about. Daddy has been awarded may medals and honors in his long career. He is never afraid of anything, I guess being in combat will do that for you! The thing I am most proud of is the way he took care of my mom when she was sick. Here is this big, forceful, powerful man lovingly caring for his dying wife. It was a wonderful tribute. He met a wonderful lady 3 years after my mom's death. They have been married for 5 years. In that time Daddy has battled cancer 2 times, once enduring a horrible whipple surgery. He has survived. Joan has taken such good care of him and he has the best attitude. His faith has also played such a big part. I never thought I would see my Daddy going to Sunday school, but he not only does that, but goes to 2 church services most Sunday's. I love this about him. I feel very lucky to have this man as my father, and I love him very much. Happy Birthday Daddy!!

No comments: